For many homeowners, landscaping can seem like such a massive endeavor. The thought of having to renovate your outdoor spaces can be a bit overwhelming, but that doesn’t mean that it has to be.
Rock gardens are catching on in popularity these days, and it’s easy to see why. Compared to other landscaping options, it’s much easier to install rocks into your yard than other plants or materials.
However, if you’re interested in a rock garden, where do you begin? If you are thinking about creating a rock garden and are in need of expert help, contact B&D Rockeries. Today we want to discuss the benefits of going this route, as well as some simple tips and tricks for choosing the best design for your outdoor spaces.
Benefits of a Rock Garden
Before we get into the details of how to pick the right layout for your garden, let’s go over some of the reasons why you would want to do this. Once you see the advantages of having a high-quality rock garden in your yard, you won’t be wondering why it took so long to get started.
More than anything else, the benefit of using rocks is that they don’t require a lot of upkeep. While that’s not to say that you never have to do anything with your rock garden, it’s much easier to maintain than other plants or materials. Living gardens require nutrient-rich soil, water, and sunlight. Metal fixtures can rust and degrade over time. Rocks, on the other hand, won’t break down and they’ll look good all year round.
Simply put, once you’ve installed a rock garden in your yard, you won’t have to worry about keeping it clean, tidy, or watered. Just prevent the weeds from growing, and you’ll be set for life.
One of the great things about rocks is that they come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Thus, creating the perfect design for your outdoor spaces is as easy as choosing a variety of rocks that add contrast and add dynamic vision for your yard.
Also, finding the right rocks can be much easier than trying to import different plants or installations into your space. For example, you can either buy stones online or find some in local outdoor areas. There are no right answers here, so you can customize the experience as you see fit.
Choosing the Best Rocks
When getting started with your rock garden, it’s imperative that you realize the installation process will be somewhat intense. While these gardens can last forever with little maintenance, you do have to spend a bit more time and energy getting everything set up initially. So, with that in mind, let’s go over the best ways to get the most out of your rock garden.
While you can incorporate different elements into these outdoor spaces, you will want to create a reliable foundation. This means that you have to have a substrate layer that will serve as the basis for your whole garden.
When picking substrate, you will want to consider these factors.
- Drainage – you want water to flow through the rocks and seep into the ground, rather than pool and create water hazards.
- Appearance – do you want a variety of dark and light shades to create a dynamic effect, or do you want all of the rocks to be matching?
- Price – some rocks are going to be more expensive than others. Consider the overall amount you’ll need so that you won’t go over your budget.
- Texture – gravel feels a lot different than lava rocks, which feels different from smooth pebbles. The composition of your substrate is crucial both because it affects the appearance and it can impact how well you can utilize the space functionally.
Once you’ve determined the best substrate for your rock garden, you’ll want to focus your attention on decorative pieces as well. Varying the size and shape of the rocks in your garden can have an incredible impact on the style of the area, so it’s imperative that you take the time to choose pieces that you like. Here are some things to consider when picking out decorative rocks.
- Size – if you put a large, odd-shaped boulder in your substrate, it will act as a centerpiece for the whole garden. It will have a commanding presence, and it can do more with less. Just remember that it will be extra heavy, so you’ll have to have help getting it in, and be sure that you put it in the right place the first time.
- Form and Function – perhaps you have a line of larger rocks that at as a barrier between sections. What about flat stones as a walkway to your door? If you have a pond, can you create a border around it? Utilize rocks for different purposes to make your garden more functional.
Contact Us Today
At B&D Rockeries, we understand what it takes to craft a beautiful and elegant rock garden. See what options we have and let us design the perfect accents for your outdoor spaces. Contact us today to find out how we can transform your home and help your yard stand out. Let us help you get your backyard to a place you can enjoy spending time with family and friends.